Sunday, January 24, 2010

How I got this blog!!!

My nurse is a bit odd, but she cooks a mean roasted chicken.......
ALas, I am back on the blogness as I have now made it to treatment #7 of my predicted twelve. As I was told there would be a cumulative effect as I became more and more intimate with this poison. Seems ever since the beginning of my last treatment I just want to sleep and I'm having a different sort of fatigue. Oddly, this is almost better though because now I can just make the time blur away in a foggy mixture of family guy episodes, surf films and the back of my eyelids. Been getting an elixir down to help reduce my aches and my almost over the edge anxiety, a drug called adavan which is a pre-0p sedative and some special baked goods have turned this whole escapade into something nearly manageable I reckon. SO things get a little weird around here day after day by myself, the cats stare at me like I'm lazy and unemployed which I am I guess, but so are they those little bastards. It's been funny getting super deep into the computer cyberlife thing, lurking on facebook, writing two blogs and for once actually using my email to communicate with people. It's the little tasks I get to complete that would never get done or even hold a spot on my to due list. Like the other day I "had" to go get a new bulb for my Spiderman Lantern that I keep next to my bed, and also a tiny watch battery to put in another micro headlamp I have. There has been talk since I started the treatment about "chemo brain" though I hadn't really felt it I kind of wrote it off. Well now I know what those people who don't know what they're doing are talking about. I'm thinking about starting to wear a man purse around my waist to keep track of the five things in my life that I'm responsible for as to avoid leaving my wallet in the rental car, my water bottle at the hospital or the cereal in the fridge all of which were haphazardly executed this last week. "I FEEL LIKE I"M TAKING CRAZY PILLS! So, what the heck happened to the Stickman? How the what the fuck did you end up with cancer?

Last Christmas 08 I was home with the family having a generally saucy rip riding helluva good time. We got waist deep snow on Christmas day! When we got home from the mountain and for most of my visit I felt tired as the evening developed, more than usual though. One of the best times in Reno is going to the bars over the Holidays, surely something I never would miss. Well it was different last year, I was just too tired and not into it. Didn't really think twice about it other than maybe the pow days were just draining me. So we had a Christmas dinner toast and everyone wished for a better year to follow, expressively my brother who had just gone through a lame break up. Looking back now this gives me the goosebumps...... I remember thinking "This was the sickest year of my life, I'm the luckiest guy ever really, nothing truly rotten has ever happened to me" I honestly said that to myself!!!!!

When I got back to Washington I was working for LiB Tech building snowboards and had also been hired to work at one of the elementary schools as a TA in the special needs department. After my first official day working at the school I came home and my dad was putting up some siding on the house and asked me for a hand. From the time that I had had a faint cough at lunch break to the time I was fumbling to help my dad I felt like I had developed fucking malaria or something. For the next week and a half I called off work with a brutally deep yet dry cold and flooding amounts of exhaustion. In order to prove I was legitimately haggard to my employers I had to go get a follow up check up from the urgent care who had given me some anti-biotics to wrestle my symptoms down. In a possible out of step move, the nurse ordered a chest x-ray to ensure there was no pneumonia impending on my lungs. I left the clinic back to my house thinking this sickness was in the bag like the twenty others I'd waded through, " I don't have pneumonia" I said to myself. Two days later the phone rings and my x ray nurse tells me they see some surprisingly enlarged lymph node in my chest cavity and want to schedule me a CT scan.

"What does that mean"? I thought. "What do those lymph nodes do?""You have them in your chest?" "Why are mine so big?" With the news I eagerly broke out my computer and began researching what these findings could mean, Lymphoma, Leukemia, Lymphadenopathy....all daunting prospects. That day was the first day I had cried in years and years, I was so scared and confused. The cold grey Washington day felt so much darker and unjust.


I had to go to the University of Washington Medical Center for my first Biopsy which would be an outpatient surgery though I would be anesthetized. They stuck a tube and a camera scope down my throat and sliced a small portion off of one of the two now striking familiar and large toad nodes. The surgery was about an hour and a half and I woke up comfortably sedated and numb. My dad and my girlfriend wheeled me down to the car and off we went back across the Puget Sound onto the Peninsula. It took about two weeks for the results to prove that there was no malignancy and that the swelling was most likely caused by environmental effects like something I had breathed in while remodeling the house or working at the snowboard factory. Well Far Fuckin Out! I had no cancer, I just had to focus on taking care of this weird unknown lung infection. Happy Days were back!


After being confronted with such a gnarly scare I rearranged my life plans and decided it may be the best thing for me to get out of the snowboard shop, and head back to San Diego to complete my teaching credential studies. Arriving back in SoCal felt ok, nothing like I wanted it to feel like though. I had been scarred by the small town country roads, rural farming communities and huge glacial mountains in my back yard with peeling surf at their bases. The hustle and bustle that I was now back in the thick of was creating feelings of anxiety that I had never felt in my life. As it turns out the five months I spent back in San Diego going to homeopathic doctors, nutritionists and message therapists trying heal myself ,were not going to help and it was not the City, the move, or the people that were making me feel so tweaked. It was the cancer starting to really poke it's head out.


In July after a follow up blood test my inflammation rate was six times higher than it had been back in Washington and chest pains were feeling a bit too foreign and questionable to write off. I flew back to Reno where my Mom set up for me to have another Biopsy, this time they would take a full node from my collar bone region and have it tested at Stanford. Again It was an outpatient procedure and I was back on the plane the next day to San Diego to continue my life.


I had just come downstairs to grab my surf stuff to go slide when my cell phone rang. It was my mom so I knew she had the news whatever it be. I wanted to screen that call so bad.....I picked up the phone as my Mom's voice cracked and said 'I'm so sorry honey". Those four words was all she had to say as I swayed back looking for somewhere to sit down and deflate. That moment seemed like all the innocent childhood self perceptions I still clung onto were all taken away by some fuckin asshole bully guy named Life. He had hit me with a lead pipe right in the throat. I had no Idea what to do, I sat in the garage staring at all the artwork I had done when I was little and all the photos on the walls of me having great times. I cried, I couldn't believe all the innocence was gone, my life was no longer that great story I loved telling myself. I felt scared to call or tell anyone about the news, when I did call somebody I could only get through them saying "Hello" before my pre planned composure disintegrated into a muddle of tearful collapse. It took almost a week to fully comprehend the whole thing.


So off I was, I had to give notice on my killer apartment by the beach and leave my wonderful girlfriend to handle the final moving procedures. I packed my van with all I could stuff and drove to Reno in the beginning of October 2009. Leaving behind my jobs, house, girlfriend, school and happiness to go battle the unknown with my Mom by my side. The first week was staging, I had two heart scans, a CT scan, A PET scan, and a bone marrow biopsy. The bone marrow test alone will forever be the gnarliest most humbling thing that this experience will deal me. You never want one of those. So after two weeks and a stream of tests I swam away with Stage 2B Hodgkin's lymphoma. No organ or bone marrow infections. I get chemo every other week for 24 weeks and then a balmy dose of radiation in April to zorch whatever pesky death is left.


It's January now, over halfway into this mess and I'm having fun with it I suppose. It's weird to see how scared i can make myself and then how easy it is to bounce back by taking in the little things and thinking about all the people that encourage me and make me so strong. I miss you all so much. It was so great to hear from all you SB friends who I haven't talked to in so long. Believe it or not the comments I get on this lame little blog give me so much positive outlook and encouragement I find myself looking everyday to hear from a familiar face. I'm winning this because I have you all! LOve you guys, THanks for listening, SICKSTICK

I also write some potentially comical and insightful surf junk as Kenny Bloggins over at mitchsnorth.blogspot.com. Have a gander.

12 comments:

  1. Sticky!!! I just recently discovered your blog and truly can't believe all of this. You are so strong and such an inspiration...thank you for your perspective and positive words. I (and all of us in SB) are sending you good vibes to stay strong and positive and kick this bitch to the curb! It's a shame that we all get wrapped up in our own worlds and lose touch over time, but reading your blog brings up SO MANY great memories! Stay strong and keep smiling buddy! PS I still wear my pirate pin proudly!
    <3 Jaime Pack

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Look you wordy Bastard

    I swear if you don't write a book or something I am going to come up there and make you do it...

    Again I want to echo Packy's sentiments and thank you for shaking me out of my own head... your way of talking through things and looking at the little as opposed to the BIG, has brought my heart back home from a long journey of being caught up...living too fast and Not breathing in things as I once did... there is a Picture I have sitting in a little frame on my dresser for years of You, Andrea, BJ and Me at the Wilderness Formal back when life was simpler... If I try real hard I can almost hear the sound of the wheels against the pool, old vinyl spinning and the taste of warm Beer & Whiskey... I remember the sound of your laugh in the cold mornings at the Beach House while we quoted Caddy Shack, watched the North Shore and Point Break 10,000 times and searched for size 34 Nerdles wile trying to debate punk rock, chinch and the Juggernaught... It takes me back and makes me smile...and Slow Down

    Thanks for Sharing your struggle and your journey with us all... We Love ya Stickman

    Take it easy up there tough-guy

    Oh...and PS

    -I want a hamburger. No, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake. I want potato chips...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep Chargin hard Nick. Can't wait to go shred some waves with ya.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick man!!!!

    Hang in there my man. Life is going to get back to normal soon. If you need anything at all consider it done.

    I was remembering that time that we drove all the way to C street to go surfing but it was flat so we proceeded to check every spot between C street and Jalama and ended up surfing knee high Jalama and the water was like 45 degrees.

    Working at the Beach House with you are some of my happiest memories.

    Keep eating those cookies.

    Love,

    Ship Wreck

    P.S. My email is: Colin_Shirek@hotmail.com and phone is 415 250-4061

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Man,
    Just talked to my pops and there is some time reserved for you at our place in Maui. Use it when you want it.

    -shippy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap where'd you learn to write like that? Thanks for sharing your journey with us...sending lots of Hawaiian love your way..

    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried to comment so many times to tell you how amazing you are but just comes out all wrong. Your words are so eloquent they make mine seem dull. Lackluster as they may be, I want you to know that you are an inspiration. I am in awe of your demeanor. You are so happy and positive.
    It was so good to see you and the fam at your party. Being with you all is like being in a wonderful, completely different world! You looked just beat. I expected to look over and see you sleeping, but everytime I looked you were positivly beaming.
    Thank you for sharing your journey and your love. The world needs more people like you!!!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bro. I'm up pritty early and decided to check your blog for some updates...thanks so much for sharing and giving insight to all that you have gone through and are going through. You are such a strong man, and I am humbled by your approach to this whole situation. I must admit I got a little misty eyed reading some of the latest posts...I know we have not been friends for a real long time, but I'm so glad that we have become friends over the last couple of years and look forward to many years ahead...thanks for the blog posts man. I think and pray for you and Liz everyday, and look forward to possibly seeing ya'll next month...love the positive energy you choose to spread through this rough ordeal. Talk to you soon my friend.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mr. Stick,

    Welp buddy…I have a newly found geyser in my heart ejecting red corn syrupy (yes that is a word) 70’s slasher movie type blood. People stop and stare, begging the question “What is wrong with her?” ”Why doesn’t she get that thing taken care of?” “Do you think she will pay for my dry cleaning bill?” I named that little gusher Nick and I have been trying to find a plug for the last three days.

    There are a few people that really make an impact on your life and ironically you rarely get a chance to tell them. I am not telling you this because you are sick and I am afraid I won’t see you again….because I know you and you are going to chew this thing called cancer up to spit it the out like a sunflower seed on a road trip. I am telling you this because I adore you and you are one specfuckingtacular person (yes that is also a word). So here we go…I thank you for the encouraged unabashed acts of temporary insanity, rabble-rousing, Jawbreaker (still my favorite…no contest), endless reiterations of “Have you heard….?” And “Check this out!” and “Watch this!” (usually regrettable acts), clever “getting back at Seth” war tactics, and the really big adolescent struggle of self-acceptance. Nick the Stickman Batcheller taught me (recited in the “Larry Parker got me 1.2 million” voice)…It’s ok to be a geek, it’s ok to laugh when no one else is, it’s ok to really like things that no one else does, it’s ok to push the limits and it’s ok to beeeeeeeee yourself.

    I love you buddy! You are in my thoughts, you are a gushing geyser in my heart and I am sending you oodles of little positive bouncing beaming electrons!

    See you real soon mister,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stickman,
    Carmel sent me a link to your blog and well, I have to admit that I'm definitely on the border of gushing tears right now. Although it has been many years since we've crossed paths... you and all the misfits from the Beach House are some of the most amazing, genuine, and hilarious people I've ever met. Thank you for putting life in perspective in such a poignant way, it has caused me to take a step back and examine my own selfish view of life and how it impacts me. Best of luck Nick, if all that positive energy doesn't zap the cancer, I hope the chemotherapy can without taking too much of a toll on you.

    yours truly,
    Malia

    ReplyDelete
  11. - Holy Shit Stick,

    That is the first time I have heard the whole chronological run down of the build up to living in Reno. I have an ache in my chest having, for the first time, seeing into your ordeal through your eyes. Your Washington family loves you so much and is waiting for you on the other side of this mess.
    You really are a good writer. You should think about this as a career. No writer has had me all blurry eyed choking back tears and laughing so hard I am blowing my morning coffee out my nose all at the same time.

    Say hi to Liz for us

    -Nick, Ambur, Zoe, Alexi, and Basil

    ReplyDelete