Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunrise Rehabilitation Clinic

Hawhaaa? It's been almost six months since I left the coast to come back to my old home, the one that I lived in during my pesky, trouble making, skate rat days, where midnight curfews and borrowing the car were the highest of concerns. The place that etched a good part of my character and the one that still redefines the way I respect and admire my Mom. Ahhhh Ma's house, what better place could I be and what better comfort can you get than that from your the Mother when your feeling downright defeated. Well here's some clips of the house and the little environment I live and operate amongst on the daily. My chair and the publishing department of Sickstick sit just inside those front windows. Most all of my groundbreaking literary achievements have taken place in my black chair that rests calmly in the window, usually occupied by a thin haired, half baked, pasty pale lanky lurkmiester claiming he knows the meaning of life and how enlightened he has become since he's taken office. Aside from the grey ass, blistering cold, blustery slot machine of a weather pattern winter we've been having this place has made it all not so super bad.
As I've stated many times before, the grass makes things a whole lot better when you're laying on your back feeling edgier than a ski shop grinder. Actually, contrary to my usual green room antics, the stuff really just makes me want to be active. It makes my mind wander just enough to forget about my tweaky feelings and get me out rollin or pedaling. Yay green stuff.

Some really cool grainy, twisty, siding on the back of the house. In the day the wood soaks up mass heat from the sun and it gets all balmy back there. I lurk there sometimes.


We have treasures buried around the house, here's some sick booty.
Living with the healthy food wiz Liz and understanding the situation I am in as far as how important quality and organic food is for a healthy immune function and defending me against the chemo army, we have been having great colorful feasting abound. Also, having the benefit of Liz working at a health food grocery store has made my diet and nutrition that much more intrepid. I believe that the reason I have gained twenty pounds, not lost my hair and am able to maintain a pretty adequate energy level throughout the cycles is because of how good the food is that I'm putting in my body. You really are what you eat, I'm convinced my diet is helping me clobber this disease and these treatment side effects. Here's a gander at the ol' compost, the tail ends of some awesome nutritional inhalations.
Got the old radio flyer out to tow around some firewood. This thing is at least twenty years old, they don't make em' like they used to I'll tell you what. Another gem stowed away in the yard.



Get your garden boxes going, grow some tasty grub and get to know the vast array of tasty characters you consume. I'm looking forward to getting my green thumb attune this summer.


A Double lot makes for a huge yard full of bird feeders, finches, scrub jays,warblers, dog-like cats and a lot of space to just get weird......
Come on over, bring some brewskis, we'll have a shweet ol' time.

The place where I wait, where I wonder and ache. The place that has seen me through the best and the worst of times. A place I will happily be leaving for the month of April to go to the coast for some sliding adventures and some drop-in visits to some fine friends of mine. At this point in time I'm a week away from getting my second to last wash of chemo, making my last four hour lazy-boy IV drip outing March 31st. Oh hot damn! I went to see the radiologist the other day and got the breakdown on the effectiveness of radiation coupled with the chemotherapy I've taken and what the 5 year survival percentage rates are for someone with my story. With a relatively high cure rate to start with, getting localized radiation on the initial tumor site(my chest) for four weeks makes a 50% less rate of recurrent Hodgkin's. Amazingly the initial tumor size was about as big as a cantelope(larger than I thought) and at this point it is down to the size of a grape. The radiation is going to shrivel that little bugger into a raisen. The chances of being gifted some other form of cancer or heart disease from the radiation treatments are about 1%. So.... as in the very first episodes of this saga the daunting prospects of all that could go wrong and what might happen still seem to shiver me timbers a little bit. But hey, I've come this far and I've done this well and I'm ready to live this thing like I got firecrackers in my drawls. Life could have never been this special to me! I'm scared sure, but I'm just as intriqued and excited about looking at this life one day at a time. As ironic as it sounds it's strangely more motivating and romantic when my life certainly has a distinct and impending chance of unfolding completely differently than I once envisioned it would. Thanks for listening. Sickstick
New ripsticks always have the uncanny ability to conjure stoke and willingness to ride. My new device for sessioning all the insane terrain around the hood.






















4 comments:

  1. Bring some of that shred down to P.B. in April. My schedule is pretty light that month. I've got a garage full of boards and know of some other garages we can raid to access plenty more. Bring some of the kids down that have been chiming in on the blog. Would love to meet some of them. You guys can stay as long as you want, if you dont mind the schedule of a 17 month old grom named Dane. He is excited to meet you. We can't wait to see you. Bryan, Leah, Dane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet shots, sticky. especially like the video! gonna slide up this way or stay in cali??? either way, glad you're getting a break......

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you. I'm sorry I did not send the Unicorn cookies...they were wicked awesome...I will make more and send them. Maybe I will paint the old ones and they can be like good luck charms. Come visit and we will have the biggest party you could imagine with some of the awesomest people you know...for where we live of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need you to come to L.A. to show me how to drop in on this ramp. I'll keep catching waves for you. But something tells me you'll have to skate for me . . . until I get up some more courage!

    You rule it every day, Stickman!

    ReplyDelete